Anjean

Anjean (1951) (from Coalfield Photography by Melody Bragg, photo by Red Ribble)

Location:

Approximately 6 miles north of Rupert on County Route 1 (Anjean Road) - 3801'12"N 8038'00"W

Elevation:

2,680 ft.

Population:

Formed:

1926

Name Origin:

Named for Anna and Jean, the mother and daughter of Andrew F. Leckie, owner of Leckie Smokeless Coal Company.

History:

Anjean was a coal mining community established by the Leckie Smokeless Coal Company. It was developed by William S. and Andrew F. Leckie, sons of the late Colonel William Leckie, a native of Scotland involved in numerous coal mining operations in Pennsylvania and West Virginia.

Schools:

Anjean School (established c.1928, closed)

Post Office:

Established 1927, closed 1961.
Remnants of Leckie Smokeless Coal Company Store (2005)